Historical points of the town
Before year 1815, Gampaha was a dense forest. The 5th governor of Ceylon, Sir Edward Barnes made a visit to Gampaha in 1825, on the way to observe the construction work of Colombo-Kandy road. The British colonists built Henarathgoda railway station in 1864 which act as a key factor for the progress and recognition of the town. In 1867, the first rubber tree of Sri Lanka was planted in Henarathgoda botanical garden. When British built the “Moragoda” catholic church in 1828, Gampaha and surrounding areas became inhabitant slowly. The town was planned in 1920, with 52 roads including the main street, a water tank, a public market, a hospital and an electrical generator. Most of these are still present in their original sites with various improvements over time.